This past Saturday I hosted what I consider to be my first kid birthday party. It went really well despite the required last minute change of plans when we were hit with buckets of rain. I think everyone (including myself) had a good time.
J has been thinking about his birthday ever since his best bud turned 4... back in April! And he never did waver from his initial decision that it would be a Monster Truck party.
So, I decided to attempt a Monster truck birthday cake. Not a cake decorated with monster trucks, no I went with the monster truck shaped cake. In case you weren't aware, they don't make cake pans in that shape. They make a car one, but no monster truck. So using two different rectangle pans (and two cake mixes) I began the construction process. In case you didn't see it on facebook, here is the finished product:
The shape came out pretty much as I had envisioned it (although it did slope a bit on the top right). Now the decorations... Well, I didn't really have a vision for it. So it just kind of happened. :)
When the kids arrived, they were each given a monster truck to play with for the duration of the party (and to take home as a party favor). Big J had constructed two neat ramps and drawn a race track on our back porch for the kids to use.
Once all the kids were here, we played a 'game.' I lined up about 5 matchbox cars and the kids took turns pretending to be monster trucks jumping over the cars. Then we'd add a couple more and they'd all go again. The boys all seemed to enjoy this game. All the kids received gold medal ribbons declaring them a winner.
Then it was time for presents! J received some neat new toys that he is thoroughly enjoying. And of course we had to dive into that Monster truck cake. It was so cute to see my son sitting at the table surrounded by his friends and being sung to.
After the cake eating was completed, the kids were given poster board 'license plates' and a bag of foam stickers that spelled out their name. There were also animal stickers to help decorate it.
At this point the kids were warmed up and comfortable all being together. The activities hadn't taken as long as I thought they potentially might, so there was still time to enjoy some freeplay with their monster trucks.
What will his next birthday party be like? J tells me it will be GI Joe themed. Let's see if that holds out for an entire year. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment