Friday, June 28, 2013

Another 'pet'

E's most recent pet is a cute little caterpillar!  It reminds me of a college science project where I kept monarch caterpillars.  I had to make a cage, feed and water them, clean out the cage, and watch for them to change to a chrysalis.  Our professor gave us a specific food source, if I remember correctly.  That project notebook is one of the few college things I've still kept around.  I should pull that and show E.  But I digress...
The cage - an old animal cracker container with a raisin container lid.
The raisin container lid works great!  E can wedge it in there where it is mostly covered, but there is still room for air to get in.  This is all her doing.
Once the caterpillar survived the first few days in said cage, I have helped remind her to care for it each day.   I take the caterpillar out, she uses the rain barrel water to rinse out the cage, and then we reinsert the caterpillar and she adds some fresh leaves.  The waste each day has increased, the leaves keep disappearing, and he has visibly gotten bigger.  
Meet B!  (That's how she pronounces his/her name... I'm not sure how she spells it)  Watching him and helping him survive totally counts as schoolwork, don't you think?  




No comments: