Friday, May 23, 2014

Garden update - May 2014

In the front are the carrots, doing well.  Behind the carrots are two rather sad tomato plants and to the left of those are two very happy basil plants.

Mommy's patch of marigolds (surrounded by weeds)

3 okra plants, a mystery plant, and some mooflower seeds of J's.  In the back right is the citronella plant that is now flowering and in the back left are my bean plants.  "What kind of bean plant?" one might ask.  I have no clue... I don't remember what I bought and planted.  :)

Upclose picture of the flowering citronella plant

Watermelon plant #1

Watermelon plant #2

2 somewhat happier tomato plants (again, surrounded by weeds)

The sweet potatoes are growing... again... and more weeds

The persimmon tree

The repotted mint plant (sitting amongst weeds)


The mystery plant from the compost is definitely a zucchini plant, but we aren't getting any zucchini, despite all the pretty flowers.  It's a very nice looking plant though, don't you think?

The plum tree (with the zucchini plant behind it)

A small patch of marigolds on the far left, a couple of mammoth sunflowers,  then the zucchini plant and plum tree.  The kids have created a neat little 'base' back behind these plants.

So here's a question for you, how come we spend a lot of time and effort helping nice plants grow, and weeds just appear happily and thrive with no help at all?!  Yeah, I haven't weeded in a while... like since I planted the plants.  

No comments: