Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April Showers bring great veggies!

I'm loving our new gardening hobby!  Here are some pictures I took this week of our plants.  The following plants were grown from seed.  I have never had a green thumb, so I'm so thrilled!  God has really blessed our little garden!
Lettuce in the front (onion plants behind to the left and marigolds on the right)
Cucumber - 

Carrots - 
Squash - 
The next pictures are of plants that we grew from transplants.  First, the infamous artichoke plant - 
Close up showing the bigger artichokes -
Isn't she pretty?
We harvested 4 of them (a little late) yesterday and shared them with Aunt S and Uncle V.  While I still think the artichoke plant is really cool, I've discovered I'm not a huge fan of their taste.  I like it well enough in different dishes, but am not impressed with them by themselves.  Ah well, such is life.

Pepper plant - 


And we have our first tomato!  She's still green and in the back corner of the garden so I couldn't get a great picture.


This lettuce plant started growing from a root we had pulled up from an old plant.  We had intended to break it up and let it return nutrients to the soil.  However, before we got around to doing that, it started growing again!  So we decided to replant it and see what happened.  It's doing quite well, don't you think?  

The strawberry plants in the front yard are doing well and the kids have been enjoying one every few days.  We have several other projects in the works, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Gabriele said...

Great garden! Mine used to surprise me many times. I remember "Big J" helping me pick ears of corn (we have pictures somewhere). I need a place where I can have a garden again. I read all you blog entires for April. I love it :)