Monday, November 15, 2010

Home improvement projects

After living in our wonderful house for over 2 years, we FINALLY have gotten around to doing a few improvements and now that they are complete, I want to share! 

The first project started were window treatments for our living room.  My wonderful and very talented SIL made these gorgeous valences for us.  Saturday we went to Lowe's and bought curtain rods and Big J got them hung up yesterday.  We are very happy with them!  Aren't they great?!

 View from the front door

 View from upstairs

A close-up

The second project was repainting the downstairs bathroom.  This was my first room painting project that I have ever taken on for myself and I was a bit nervous.  I am happy with the results though!  It took place a month or so ago, but we had a little trouble deciding on where to hang the towel rings.  That was finally decided and Big J put the finishing touches on yesterday, so voila!

View to the left when looking in the door.  The wall color is a light blue and the rugs/towels are navy blue. 

Above the toilet.  I painted the cross during a Girl's night out and think it works great in the new bathroom!  It is navy blue with light blue vines/flowers wrapped around it.

Close-up of the towels.  A friend of ours at church added the Bible verse rectangles onto hand towels for me.  I think it adds a neat touch!  The higher towel on the left is for adults and the lower towel on the right is for kids.  I did not leave the Scripture one up there as I don't want them staining the white on it.  (That was why we chose dark blue towels in the first place - to avoid stains!)  I am going to go buy another 1 or 2 navy blue towels without the Scripture verse on there for the kids' use.  Until then, an unmatched towel is there for non-picture purposes.  :)

A few more pictures with various angles and lighting are online here.

Our next planned project is repainting the office/guest room but due to the holidays, I think that project will have to wait until the spring.  Big J is also planning to fix up his desk a bit as time allows.  So stay tuned for more DIY projects!

No comments: