Monday, November 1, 2010

Pumpkin update

Here is one of the artists at work -

And the finished masterpieces!

I did also buy a pie pumpkin at the grocery store and the pies turned out well, I think!  J and E seem to really like it.  I forgot to take a picture before we cut into it.  I also sloshed it a bit going into the oven so part of the crust is a little burned.  I'm happy with the results!  We might even do it again another year.  :)

As for the carving idea... well... I bought the pumpkin too early for our lovely Texas heat.  It was sitting out in the front flowerbed for a while.  One night when Big J came home from work he thought to test it to see if it was even still carve-able.  Not so much.  With very little force, Big J's finger went right through.  He showed the kids at which point R gave the pumpkin another 'eye' hole.  The following morning our sprinklers ran and that was the final undoing of said pumpkin.  Yesterday Big J shoveled the sad smelly thing up and deposited it into our compost pile.  Maybe we'll try the carving idea next year.  2 out of 3 pumpkin projects were successful - works for me!

No comments: