Monday, April 30, 2012

Garden at the end of April

The other day, as I was sprinkling some fertilizer around a plum tree, I was surprised to discover that I was being watched.


This guy gave me a bit of a shock!  And he didn't move, even after I sprinkled him with the fertilizer.  I nudged him out of the way with a toy and he stayed there (playing dead, I guess) for quite a while.

So here's what our garden currently looks like:

(Notice how I kept it real with the random toys lying around.)

And here are some closeups.  The sweet potatoes are starting to thrive.  (I was worried about them for a while and still don't think we are out of the woods yet.)  The cucumber plant has 4 cucumbers on it, thanks to manual pollination!  And the tomatoes have lots and lots of flowers and a handful of green tomatoes on them.  No red tomatoes yet, but we are keeping a close eye!  Which is a really good thing as we have killed off a first round of stink bug babies within the past week.  Big J has been busy (in all his spare time) digging a trench at the edge of the garden.  We are going to buy some bricks to edge it and he is going to the trouble of doing it right.  It's slowly coming together!



And one final picture of the kids in their much larger digging spot.  Can you tell they are enjoying the extra space?  (And yes, it is still a work in progress as well.)  

Lest you think I have been lazy while Big J does all this physical labor, I must say that I have been working on another round of cleaning the carpets.  And while it is extremely satisfying to look at super clean carpets, it isn't nearly as fun to take pictures of and I kind of figured others would find it less interesting to view.  :)

Oh!  And in case you thought we weren't strange enough, I thought it would be fun to put the baby in a planter.

No comments: