Saturday, May 15, 2010

The code is breaking

I don't know how many of you use 'parent speak' or 'parent code' to talk over your kids' heads, but we have done it for a long time now.  I am referring to the spelling of certain words so that kids don't know what you are talking about.  But alas, at our house, the code is breaking.

Our oldest child is coming along quite well with his reading skills and apparently this also includes his understanding of spelling.  Now mind you, the words we use in our 'parent code' are only spelled aloud once.  In the last couple of weeks, little J has deciphered the word 'pool' and 'band.'  But the most impressive in my opinion happened on Thursday.  I spelled the word 'handle' and with just about 3 seconds lapse in time, my son exclaims "handle!"  And don't you know he is proud of himself.  (Understandable since we are pretty proud of him, too.) 

I think we are going to have to start spelling words backwards. 

1 comment:

Jeff said...

What was handle a code word for, or why did it need spelling out?