Friday, June 15, 2012

Summer Fun Activities

If you only look at the blog for pictures, sorry to disappoint you.  We've been having lots of fun, but taking very few pictures.  (A recurring problem I have just noticed and am trying to fix.)  If you enjoy hearing about our fun, crazy, chaotic, and NOISY life, then read on!

Our family plan is to school year round and take breaks as needed or as life demands.  For instance, last month we had several weekend trips and ended up with 2-3 school days/week.  If we are at home, it makes a lot of sense to continue on with some school activities as it helps give structure to our days.

That being said, I do want to add in some "Summer Fun Activities" along the way.  When I only had a couple of kids, this often happened spontaneously.  But, I've discovered that with 5 kids, I need to be more intentional or the 'spontaneous' fun just won't happen.  So I created a list of Summer Fun Activities and pull  activities from that when I make my weekly lesson plans.  So far, it's going great!  Here's what we've done so far -

  1. Take learning outside with sidewalk chalk and a beanbag
  2. Paint with water outside on the fence, toys, porch, etc
  3. Draw with chalk on the driveway (we RARELY play out front, so this was a treat to them)
  4. Have a glowstick bath (This is really cool - the kids would have stayed in for an hour if I had let them)
  5. Use my salad spinner for spin art project
So who has some other Summer Fun Activities for us to try?  

No comments: