I have found gardening to be a bit frustrating this summer. Maybe it's caring for a garden while also caring for 5 kids. Maybe it's the heat. Maybe it's being tired and feeling a bit yucky from early pregnancy. Probably, it's a bit of all 3.
Frustration #1 - Struggling grape vines. We clearly did not prepare the ground around the planting location well enough and while they started off doing great, they hit a certain point and have REALLY been struggling. We've been amending the soil and giving them extra nutrients and things are looking up. Still, it's been frustrating.
Frustration #2 - We lost a plum tree. I don't know for sure what disease, but it came and took the tree within a few days of us noticing a problem. *Sigh*
Frustration #3 - The sweet potatoes started off slow, but then seemed to take off! We really enjoyed the beautiful greenery in that spot of the garden. Then we pulled a couple... and... nothing. :( I felt like crying. (Okay, I did cry. I am pregnant, you know.) So the best we could figure, we didn't prepare that spot very thoroughly either and the ground was just too hard for the potatoes to grow. Therefore, they put all their growing power into those pretty leaves.
Happiness #1 - We actually did get some sweet potatoes! While our assessment probably is true, we didn't dig deep enough to find the sweet potatoes the first time. Once I got over my initial sadness and told Big J he could pull them all, he DID find some sweet potatoes.
E counts 44 (although I think that is 44 pieces, not actual potatoes). Big J accidentally cut some of them in half as he dug. Here they are drying in our dark and humid garage. They aren't real big, but they are real and grew in our garden!
Happiness #2 - We still have one plum tree!
Happiness #3 - We get to 'start again' with a fall garden!
| Pumpkin patch |
![]() |
| Swiss Chard |
| Broccoli |
| New tomato plants |





No comments:
Post a Comment