Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving Activities

This year, we read the book, Eating the Plates during our Thanksgiving study.  It was a fun and enlightening read!  At the end of the book, there are a bunch of recipes to create a 'real' Pilgrim meal.  They all use corn or cornmeal, because that is what the Pilgrims had.  I just couldn't bring myself to make all those recipes in one go, but we have made several of them and enjoyed them to varying degrees.


First, we made Succotash Stew, then Corn Soup, and then Bannock Cakes (corn pancakes).  I think we are still going to make Indian pudding later today.  

Corn Soup
The girls also spent one afternoon coloring, cutting out, and playing with a Pilgrim village.  Here are a few of the figures:

E and I spent a little while making corn husk dolls one afternoon.

We also made a "I am thankful for" poster and added a new card each day, to which everyone had contributed.   Earlier this week, I took 3 of the pumpkins that the kids painted last month and washed them off (the rest of the way).  Then we scooped out the seeds and roasted the pumpkin.  I made some homemade dairy and gluten free pumpkin bread that went over well with everyone.  I also roasted and salted the seeds... yummy!  

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments: