Sunday, March 8, 2009

Latest notes from the garden

We are so thankful for the garden God has allowed us to have!  It has been so much fun and a great learning experience.  We never did get a fruit tree as we had hoped to do.  Between trying to meet HOA requirements and then being sick for so much of January and February, we missed the boat on the best time to buy/plant them.  So anywho, here is what the garden looks like now.  (J is taking a picture with his camera, too.)  Big J and I spent all of nap time today working on refreshing the garden.
We have tomato plants in the ground and all of our tulips in the backyard have bloomed.  (Well, almost all.  There are a couple hiding under the artichoke plant that are up but not blooming yet.)  The empty looking spots are where we planted seeds - carrots, okra, yellow squash, spinach, cucumbers and lettuce.  We didn't do so hot with the other seeds we had planted since we did it so early and didn't keep them indoors.  (Ah well, we learned our lesson!)
The onions seems to be doing well (upper right side) and we have a pepper plant in the ground that is new (far right).  The newer swiss chard plants are doing well, too.
View from the kids digging area at the end of the garden.
Here's the proof that I really am creating a digging spot for them!  It's slow going though since I've only worked on it a couple of mornings.  The stepping stones divide the garden from the digging spot and I plan to double the space that is currently there for the kids to play in.  Then I'll put the plastic edging around all of it to keep the grass out.  
Stay tuned for pictures and notes about our ladybug adventures!

No comments: