I noticed that somehow this never was 'published.' Not sure how that happens, but such is life.
The squash plant is doing great! (It's the one on the far left in the above picture) I harvested our first squash today. 8 inches long!
The one okra seed that decided to grow has been struggling underneath the squash plant, so last night, Big J moved it to give it some more room (and a bit more sun).
The okra plant fighting for space amidst the squash plant
The happy okra plant that has room to breathe now
The cucumber plants are also thriving! I think we are going to have cucumbers growing out of our ears if we eat them all! So if you (or someone you know) would like some homegrown cucumbers in a week or two, please let me know! Big J built a trellis of sorts for them last night.
We've started pulling onions as their tops have fallen. (From what I've read that means it is time. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.) We've already eaten 4 of them and last night we pulled all but 3 of the remaining ones. The one on the far right is our largest one so far, although we expect that 2 of the ones in the ground will be a bit bigger. They may be small, but they are real red onions and taste pretty good! Once the last 3 onions are up, we'll have a nice open space to plant something new. My sweet SIL B gave me some melon seeds, so our veggie garden is heading toward some fruit production as well!
Tomatoes! Our first one is finely starting to ripen! And our roma tomatoes are starting to grow, too. We may have tomatoes for the sharing in a few weeks as well.
tomatoes together
Roma tomatoes growing
Beefy tomato starting to ripen
I planted some broccoli seeds this morning (also from SIL B) so we'll see if they do well. It's a little late to be planting them for a spring crop. However, if they don't sprout, I'll just try again in mid/late summer for a nice fall crop of broccoli. There's so much to learn and try in the world of gardening!
1 comment:
Great garden pics, Kim! I also love the monster truck the kids built in the playroom. Their imagination is awesome!
Post a Comment