Pool day!
Today we ventured a trip to the neighborhood swimming pool! (Sorry, no pictures were taken) It was warm enough but turned out to be a bit windy up where the pool was located.
The older 2 kids had a BLAST! They literally jumped right in. R and P were a bit more, shall we say, reluctant? R screamed when I tried to walk her towards the water at first. So we took it slower. First I sat on the edge of the pool holding P in my lap while R sat/laid behind me a ways on the concrete. She eventually became brave enough to take the suggestion I offered of putting her hand in the water. P was not overly upset about the water, but just found it to be a bit too chilly for his tastes. That and he was a bit tired. More on that in another post.
So back to R. After a while I handed P over to Big J who took him in further. He wasn't crying about it, but fuss, fuss, fussed about it and wanted to be handed back to me (sitting OUT of the water). I took the opportunity to coax R a little closer and got her sitting on the edge of the pool with her feet dangling in the water. We played a few 'games' with lifting our legs up and down, in and out, etc. I had my arm around her the whole time and she seemed to enjoy herself a bit. But that was it. She never progressed to the point of getting IN the water. Not for me or Big J. Maybe next time? We actually do have high hopes for that b/c when it was time to leave she threw a BIG fit about not wanting to leave. And I do mean big. We have NEVER had a major tantrum in public with any of our children. Prior to today that is. We're talking yelling/screaming, standing still, resisting the voices of reason explaining how it was time to go. Ah well. I'm sure the handful of people at the pool were watching but I'm also sure they didn't find it that odd that 1 out of 4 children was not happy about going home. :)
You want logistics? How do 2 adults take 4 children under the age of 6 to the swimming pool? Simple! Okay, not really, but it wasn't super complicated either. J has the beginning understandings of swimming and was allowed in with no floaties. E had on the arm floaties. R had on a 'swimming vest' and P... well P would have been in a baby floaty thing with a canopy had he been more interested in actually being IN the water. It actually felt very doable which was nice for Big J and I. It 'only' took us 30 minutes to get ready to spend an hour at the pool.
So are things like this doable with so many littles? Yes! Are they doable with a camera recording the event? Not so much in my book. :)
Today we ventured a trip to the neighborhood swimming pool! (Sorry, no pictures were taken) It was warm enough but turned out to be a bit windy up where the pool was located.
The older 2 kids had a BLAST! They literally jumped right in. R and P were a bit more, shall we say, reluctant? R screamed when I tried to walk her towards the water at first. So we took it slower. First I sat on the edge of the pool holding P in my lap while R sat/laid behind me a ways on the concrete. She eventually became brave enough to take the suggestion I offered of putting her hand in the water. P was not overly upset about the water, but just found it to be a bit too chilly for his tastes. That and he was a bit tired. More on that in another post.
So back to R. After a while I handed P over to Big J who took him in further. He wasn't crying about it, but fuss, fuss, fussed about it and wanted to be handed back to me (sitting OUT of the water). I took the opportunity to coax R a little closer and got her sitting on the edge of the pool with her feet dangling in the water. We played a few 'games' with lifting our legs up and down, in and out, etc. I had my arm around her the whole time and she seemed to enjoy herself a bit. But that was it. She never progressed to the point of getting IN the water. Not for me or Big J. Maybe next time? We actually do have high hopes for that b/c when it was time to leave she threw a BIG fit about not wanting to leave. And I do mean big. We have NEVER had a major tantrum in public with any of our children. Prior to today that is. We're talking yelling/screaming, standing still, resisting the voices of reason explaining how it was time to go. Ah well. I'm sure the handful of people at the pool were watching but I'm also sure they didn't find it that odd that 1 out of 4 children was not happy about going home. :)
You want logistics? How do 2 adults take 4 children under the age of 6 to the swimming pool? Simple! Okay, not really, but it wasn't super complicated either. J has the beginning understandings of swimming and was allowed in with no floaties. E had on the arm floaties. R had on a 'swimming vest' and P... well P would have been in a baby floaty thing with a canopy had he been more interested in actually being IN the water. It actually felt very doable which was nice for Big J and I. It 'only' took us 30 minutes to get ready to spend an hour at the pool.
So are things like this doable with so many littles? Yes! Are they doable with a camera recording the event? Not so much in my book. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment